Tiny House in Transition

Tiny House in Transition

I wanted to address something a lot of you have already guessed: Guillaume and I parted ways earlier this year. We remain close friends, and we are supporting each other through this transition. Did the confined space of the tiny house break us up? No. This is just life. It doesn’t always go the way you plan.

So what’s next for Tiny House Giant Journey?

I will be living in the Tiny House, and I’m setting up a little homestead at Mt. Hood Tiny House Village in Oregon. Salies (my dog) is keeping me company. This blog will continue to be updated by me.

THGJ Modular Tiny House Couch

2016 has been a year of transition. 2017 holds new adventures.

Travel writing and minimalism are still my passions. They continue to drive me, even when life turns me in another direction. From now on I will NOT be traveling with my Tiny House in tow. Instead, I’m saving more money by parking in one location. I’ve already booked two trips for early 2017: Taiwan and Peru! Expect more travel posts and photos.

Guillaume also has big plans for the future. I won’t spill the beans. When he’s ready, I’ll update you on his projects.

THGJ California Wild Flowers - 0011

There has definitely been a transition period now that I live alone in my tiny home. I have twice as many chores, and twice as much closet space. For the first time in two years, I can purchase a new pair of shoes without getting rid of something else. There are certain high shelves that sit empty and out of my reach, and that makes me sad and drives me insane at the same time. In an effort to make the space more “me,” I’ve purchased a few girlie, fluffy pillows for the couch, changed a few decorative knobs, and planted a garden.

My Tiny House is becoming a new person, and I am too.

TransitionI hope you will continue to follow my journey as it turns down a new path. Thank you!

1. May 25, 2017 / 4:42 pm

I am not sorry that you two broke up. Instead I am glad you are both mature enough to go forward and continue to be friends despite the break up. Some people live in a fantasy world where change doesn’t happen. I recently separated from a almost 15 year relationship. I am still going to finish my tiny house. Chris will do whatever as well. Life will go on.

2. Dennis
    May 3, 2017 / 4:28 pm

Sorry to hear about you and Guillaume. Adventures and life never end.

Dennis – Los Angeles, CA

3. Eric M
    January 17, 2017 / 8:09 pm

As many i noticed the change but unlike some i didn’t think it was dying so much as changing.
    Not all relationships last and it was clear (at least to me) that this one had changed from more of couple to friends.

There of course was some bitterness but it seemed more to do with it not working then at the people involved.
    Live is change and like everything else we as people change and sometimes we are not longer the people each fell in love with.

Thankfully change also means many new and exciting things can come into our lives and new people.

Also it has to been better then when my former neighbor would get drunk and think i looked like brad pitt and then tried raping brad Yikes the memories !!!

4. November 24, 2016 / 7:04 pm

I was shocked as to how many people watched your Valentine’s Day video and talked about what a “cute couple” you were. That video was heartbreaking because it was 1000% obvious you two were breaking up. You were clearly NOT happy. It wasn’t a “cute couple” video in any way. It was a “dying relationship” video. I was stunned by the fact so many people were unable to see that. Was obvious to me. I even made a comment to that effect on the video 9 months ago. Then again, not everyone can read their fellow human beings very well.

You appear to be doing well. I can see you’re hurting but healing. That’s a healthy place to be. I wish you all the best.

5. Daniel
    November 20, 2016 / 4:42 pm

I’ve been in and out on following your blog. Followed since you first built it. Sorry for the split.

It was great meeting both of you and your tiny house in Nashville. Your house and the Music City Tiny House were the first (and so far, only) tiny houses I’ve been able to see in person. I still have ideas to go tiny when I retire from the military but wife just isn’t on board with it. 🙁

I hope you are all doing well. Enjoy the upcoming holiday season.
    ~Daniel

6. November 8, 2016 / 5:49 pm

I’m sorry to hear about the split and I wish you both every good thing for the future. I’m planning on visiting Oregon again next year and spending a little time at the Mt Hood Tiny Village sounds like a fun idea. I’ll have to check how to get there from Portland (suggestions welcome!) Cheers and good luck (especially this election day)!

7. Edi
    November 6, 2016 / 9:17 am

When you look at the beauty of nature around you, you cannot help but believe in a higher power. I choose to honor that beauty by being a believer in our Creator; and it is He, not you, who has chosen this new path for you. From my own experience, there will be melancholy moments, but the freedom you feel to be all you can be will enhance your journey. I will remain a blog follower. Carry on!

8. stephanie carbone
    October 31, 2016 / 5:44 am

Life throughs us many curves. I wish you well and best wishes, follow your dreams. Keep me posted.

9. October 30, 2016 / 10:16 am

Greetings, have enjoyed your videos and gained many great ideas and precautions from your show. Am sorry about your new life status and wish you both the best.

You lived what I plan to do – to travel the US for 12-24 months in a Tiny before purchasing land and parking. I wonder, would you be open to a visitor so I could “interview” You about traveling FT in a THOW?
    I’ve wanted to rent one if the rentals there in Mt Hood Village and would love to book a nite around your availability if willing to offer advice & input. I’d love to treat you to a meal and gain your feedback about a true toad-worthy THOW, how found locations to “camp” in transit (heard many campgrounds wouldn’t allow THOWs) and managing as a single woman. I’m 62, experienced recent life altering medical “miracle” so want to see this beautiful country while visiting patients struggling in similar circumstances to my own.
    Hope to hear from you with how can connect privately – Warm Regards, JT

• October 31, 2016 / 10:26 am

Hi JT, I’m open to this idea, if we can coordinate it. I’ve also considered doing a Facebook Live session to answer these questions, because I get this request a lot. Thoughts?

• November 29, 2016 / 11:05 am