Tiny House Relationships: Reflections and Independence

Tiny House Relationships: Reflections and Independence

Many of you have followed my journey since the beginning, back when this blog was about achieving a dream: to live tiny with someone else. Has the dream changed now that I live alone? Do I have regrets about building the tiny house? Is this still the life I want? As I bring in the New Year, I reflect on tiny house relationships and independence.

tiny house relationships

Let me tell you a story. It’s about wish fulfillment.

When I was a young girl, about 6 or 7 years old, I was asked to make a wish on my birthday. As I leaned over my cake, adorn with lit candles, I thought long and hard about my wish. Most young girls would wish for a pony, a doll or a puppy, but every tangible item that floated into my mind seemed insignificant. I wanted something bigger; something that couldn’t fade or die. I hovered, frozen over my candles, and suddenly a wish came to me.

I exhaled with all my might.

The candles extinguished, but the room was bright.

I’ve made that exact same wish a hundred times since that day. Whenever I toss a penny into a well, see a shooting star, and every year on my birthday. Always the same wish. Never another. Do you want me to reveal my wish? I’ll tell you…

live tiny

“I wish to live a long and happy life.”

Simple, yes. Yet this wish is everything. Material items and relationships may change. Even tiny house relationships are not exempt. Change is constant, but the choice to be happy will always be mine.

I spent the majority of 2016 worried I could not live alone in my tiny house. Physically, I didn’t know if I could maintain it. Economically, I wondered if I could afford it. Mentally, I was afraid of associating it with broken dreams. It is especially challenging when I read old articles, such as last year’s New Years post. A lot can happen in a year.

tiny house relationships

I’m learning to live tiny all over again.

There are moments when I am frustrated with living alone in this space. These instances happen when something breaks, a loud noise frightens me, or when I’m lonely. But then I remind myself of my wish and I work towards making it come true.

Every day the atmosphere inside my tiny house replaces itself. Today it’s stuffy, but tomorrow it may feel like a hug. I find comfort in that. The more I live alone in this space, the more I find it hard to believe I ever shared it with someone else. I continue to be impressed with my ability to adapt.

The reason I’m sharing this with all of you is because I get a lot of questions about tiny house relationships. I believe it takes a special kind of person to live tiny with someone else, but it is possible. There are no guarantees, but living tiny and love have one thing in common: they both require you to throw caution to the wind.

Can you relate?

1. Kim Gifford
    January 6, 2017 / 5:01 pm

I have the same question that others have expressed, but which never seems to be answered by tiny housers who start out as couples and then later break-up: did tiny living have anything to do with the end of the relationship? Maybe this is too sensitive a subject to ask at this point, so that’s ok if you just can’t answer it right now. I suppose we just hope we are not steering our own relationships into disaster by making the tiny choice, and would like to be forewarned. Some tiny housers shore themselves up by making additional spaces around their tiny houses into which they can retreat when the space seems too confining or when one just needs some space alone. For example High Carb Hannah and her husband (see Life Inside A Box) have built a shed to work in and have fenced their yard… In any case we as spectators wish you the very best, and all the happiness in the world that you can make or find for yourself.

2. January 6, 2017 / 2:10 am

You are great 🙂 keep smilling and making the world a better place by being you and you will attract the right man for you 🙂

3. Tony Vitz
    January 5, 2017 / 8:14 am

How about starting a Tiny House development? Have common areas for entertainment. I.e pool, workout area, etc

4. Sharene
    January 4, 2017 / 7:38 pm

I do hope you weren’t implying that living in a tiny space was part of your problem or helped in you falling out of love with each other? That would be awful. My understanding of going tiny was the benefit of living out doors more in the grand space of out side, among other benefits, of course. I see so many TH’s for sale that were featured in a TV show. I am in awe of how many there are and I feel so saddened that those people couldn’t make it work out for them. It has not discouraged me at all though. :).

I wish you the happiness in life that you deserve. Thank you for sharing.

5. Sarah Vaughan
    January 4, 2017 / 6:30 pm

I am a single woman building my own tiny home @ty_cerrig_tiny_house (on Instagram). I love the sense of achievement and courage to plunge into the Tiny House World. Throughout my build my ideas change, just like ones life changes through out the years. This tiny house I hope will remain with me for many years. It’s been a labour of love. I hope you fill New happy memories and not dwell in the past. Just another chapter in your life. Trust me, great things will happen if you let it.

6. Lori
    January 4, 2017 / 3:44 pm

I have followed you since the beginning. I love your ability to open up and share your insights with the world at large. I can’t wait to see you on HGTV later this month, right?!

7. January 4, 2017 / 10:28 am

Thank you for this. I went through a similar experience in a tiny apartment 5 years ago – feeling the same fears. I slowly made it my own and these days I love it more than ever (especially after just returning from 16 months away). Happy travels and happy life wishes!

8. Travis Anderson
    January 4, 2017 / 9:17 am

Thanks for sharing. I too have had a similar wish for a long time. I call it the pursuit of happiness. Sometimes I wonder if building my tiny house was a mistake but then I remind myself that it was a big step toward even more happiness in my life. I hope you continue to have a long and happy life!

9. Michael Turner
    January 4, 2017 / 9:16 am

Your wise beyond years it’s been a privilege following your story and it has brought inspiration to me so thank you for your selfless openness and assistance in building this lifestyle for us all.

10. January 4, 2017 / 9:12 am

As a single woman who dreams of living in my own tiny house someday, this is so encouraging! Thank you for your inspiration!