Tiny House Materials List

Below you will find MY TINY HOUSE MATERIALS, including my favorite appliances and space savers. I have used each and every one of these items, and I’ve been satisfied with the functionality. That being said, there are many options out there. Use this list as a guide, and purchase the materials that work for your specific Tiny House design, lifestyle, and climate.

If you’re interested in costs, click here for an itemized breakdown of my Tiny House budget.

PLANS AND TRAILER

My house was built on a 20 foot Tumbleweed Utility Trailer using Tumbleweed Cypress Overlook Plans. The plans included a detailed breakdown of basic construction Tiny House materials, such as structural lumber, sheathing, etc. I customized my plans, extending the dormers and changing the interior. For more information on the build plans and trailer I used, click on the links above.

TINY HOUSE MATERIALS – BASICS

Tiny House Kitchen

KITCHEN

• Refrigerator: This small 3-way Dometic fridge can run off of propane, AC or DC. Great off-grid option.
  • Stovetop: 3-burner, uses propane.
  • Oven: Solar oven (used outdoors)
  • Coffee Maker. No electricity, great space saver.
  • Toaster: Stove top option. Requires no electricity.
  • Sink: Yosemite Magnus2020 20″ x 20″ x 8″. I don’t think it’s available anymore, let me know if you find it!
  • Countertops – Alligator Juniper wood slabs (hollowed out to conserve weight)

BATHROOM

BEDROOM

• Foam Mattress – Great for the loft. Breathable. I have the 5″ version which is no longer available.
  • Loft Skylight – opens completely for emergency exit

TINY HOUSE SPACE SAVERS

CLEANING ITEMS

TOW KIT

SOLAR SYSTEM

OUTDOOR / OFF-GRID TINY HOUSE MATERIALS

TINY HOUSE BOOKS I LOVE

Tiny House Decisions by expert Tiny Houser, Ethan Waldman, discusses the real challenges you face when going tiny. There are many decisions to be made, some big and some small. This book is a great guide for getting you over the hump and working towards your Tiny House dream. The book can be purchased solo or as a package with video tours and interviews. Click here for more info.

Other inspirational Tiny House books:

GET HELP WITH YOUR BUILD

I attended a Tumbleweed workshop and purchased the “How-To” DVD. It’s a little out of date now, but still very helpful for covering the basics of Tiny House building.

TINY HOUSE SYSTEMS EXPLAINED

DIY TINY HOUSE DECOR TUTORIALS

If my Tiny House Cost Breakdown has helped you in some way, consider making a small donation. This is how I am able to maintain this website. Even $5 helps! Thank you for your support!

Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.

1. christine hinze
    January 16, 2016 / 7:18 pm

Question where did u get the wood burning stove. Can’t seem to something that small.

• January 16, 2016 / 7:22 pm

You can click on the link in the page, it’ll send you right to the manufacturer’s webpage. Or click here

2. December 15, 2015 / 2:35 pm

Happy snow day today in Colorado! Now that you guys have had a chance to put the Kimberly stove to the test in the Rockies, are you still happy with it? We have an envi heater and are looking to add a wood burning stove to our tiny but might have to sell a limb for the Kimberly to be a reality. Thanks for your feedback!

• December 20, 2015 / 11:04 am

Hey there. We just got back from a month long trip to Europe and are getting ready to leave the house again for holiday travels. Just to tell you that I still don’t feel like we’ve given a good test of the Kimberly yet. Another reason for me not saying we’ve thoroughly tested it is because, we still don’t have the recommended hardwood for long burns. As of now, we burn pine that we got from the property we’re parked on (the price was right!) and it’s not super dry and burns fairly quickly. Yet, we’re able to get at least 50 degrees of temperature difference between inside and outside. Our house leaks quite a bit of heat out as we have lots of windows and it’s not really airtight. We also have the EnviHeater running most of the time, it helps even the temperature when the fire goes out.
      With that set up, if we go to bed at 11pm with a fresh load of pine-not-super-dry-wood, I suspect the wood will burn and smolder for 2-3 hours. At 11pm, if the temperature is 74 degrees inside and around 20 degrees outside, it’ll be between 55 and 60 degrees inside at 7am.
      I hope this helps for now.

3. September 28, 2015 / 10:50 am

Hello!
    I was wondering where you got the cushion for your couch? I am debating if I should buy a foam mattress and make my own or just buy from somewhere. Thanks!

• September 28, 2015 / 12:32 pm

We just bought the foam from a local store and had the cover made. You can get foam online 🙂

4. September 18, 2015 / 1:36 pm

Hey guys, I wrote some time back and now we almost have our own travel tiny house! Thanks for all the inspiration. If you have a minute (I know you are in Alaska, which is rad), could you help me figure out if Panasonic WhisperValue can be installed on the wall? Did you go with roof or wall installation? Did you gain any insight into which option is better? Manufacture’s site says that ceiling penetration only has to be 3”. Is that what you ended up making a hole for? Thanks guys.

• September 18, 2015 / 2:34 pm

Well, we are actually in Colorado (our website is late!). We mounted the panasonic fan on the ceiling in between 4×4 joist. We had to drill a whole through the wall for the exhaust vent. I do remember them making fans that you could put on the wall too. Not sure which would be better though…

• Vladimir
        September 25, 2015 / 6:44 pm

Thanks!

5. August 13, 2015 / 9:07 pm

Hi guys,
    Love your project! You’ve created a fantastic body of resources throughout your travels. Thanks for the time you put into this website.
    I was just wondering if you could provide some feedback on your Kimberly stove now that you’ve lived with it for a while. We are considering one for our tiny, but want to hear from others who have used it before we spend $4k on it. Is it as great as it sounds? Would you buy it again if you had the chance or would you look more into other options? Thanks for your time!

• August 15, 2015 / 6:10 pm

Glad you like our project!
      We’ve always considered other options when looking at wood stoves. There are many out there that are pretty nifty! But the Kimberly seems to have the most “tiny house friendly” features. Truth be told, it hasn’t been cold enough for long enough for us to do a full review. It’s been cold yes, and the stove has performed flawlessly. We have no doubt it will get us through this winter in Colorado. But for a full review from us, you might have to wait…
      I can tell you that if keeping your house warm while being off-grid is important to you, and it gets significantly cold where you are, the Kimberly might be your best option.

• August 17, 2015 / 9:49 am

Thanks!

6. Torri
    August 10, 2015 / 11:53 am

You talk about which model you chose but what about the layout options? Which one did you go with? What did you do with the extra materials you received in the Tumbleweed package, since you used reclaimed materials like the crates?

• August 10, 2015 / 1:27 pm

Hello Torri. The plans we purchased are for a Tumbleweed Cypress 20 Overlook, but our interior layout has nothing to do with the overlook layout. Our layout is not available through plans. But don’t worry, Tumbleweed plans have no interior support wall so changing things around is really easy. Also, Tumbleweed does not send materials. You purchase plans and get a materials list. You have to go get your materials yourself. I don’t know of any tiny house company that offers materials as a package.

7. regina
    July 28, 2015 / 6:45 am

Hi,
    Love your vidoes. Attending a workshop in L.A, this october, if everything goes right…
    My question is , my budget is closet to $15 000 than 20+ I just want it functional enough to move and then I can work more on it and pour more $ into it. What do you guys think?

I will learn more about this at the workshop, I’m hoping, but that’s what I’ve figured about my budget, until now, that I have a limited amount until further notice.

Thanks for reading 😉

• July 28, 2015 / 7:24 am

I don’t see an issue with that. $15,000 should be plenty to allow you to buy a trailer, build a shell, put windows, make it weatherproof and insulate. And even more if you reclaim some materials. You should be ok for it to move. We moved ours from Los Angeles to Illinois when it was 70 or 80% done. Wasn’t an issue. Good luck! And going to a workshop is a great investment.

8. June 17, 2015 / 6:38 am

Hey again. Disregard that last comment. I now see the egress model you have listed and answered my own question. Need to be bit more observant… So I’ll likely order that one. Thanks!

9. June 17, 2015 / 6:33 am

Hey guys! Does the sky light you list have the capability to fully open? I remember seeing a picture of Jenna standing through the sleeping loft and am curious if both your skylights are the same or if they’re different. I’m on the framing of my house and want a skylight over my sleeping loft and one that fully opens (similar to an egress). I try to use your Amazon link when possible so if this listed skylight fully opens I’ll probably order it. Thanks!

10. Gregory
    June 3, 2015 / 1:23 pm

Hi, in your videos I see what appears to be blatant product placement and company logos on title overlays (e.g. Onduvilla titling on the roofing time lapse). Were you able to get any kind of discounts from manufacturers or perhaps purchase wholesale from them in exchange for product placement? We’d like to do a similar thing to you guys with our build and thought it would be a good opportunity for manufacturers to get some essentially free advertising; after all if they to us wholesale or Lowe’s they make the same money right?

• June 6, 2015 / 9:44 pm

Well, it turns out that it’s not as simple as that. I think Onduvilla is the only one we actually made a video for, though we are still due for a couple other products we use. We’ve had a pretty good and long relationship with Onduvilla and they’ve worked hard cross-promoting our project while we were promoting their product. Thankfully, we believe in their roofing so it’s easy!
      You have to make sure you have something to give back to a manufacturer if they decide to help you out, whether it being with discounts or free products, it’s only fair. Building a large targeting following is critical.
      The easiest way to get started is to create a charming project and work super hard for it be successful. Then you pick up the phone and start calling people. Get ready for lots of “no’s” before you get a “yes”. But it does happen, you can see it on our sponsor page. We’re super thankful and honored to see that those companies saw some value in our project, both in return or just in its concept!