Mezzanine & Loft Framing

Mezzanine & Loft Framing

We had another successful Sunday BBBBq. I have to admit, that it’s becoming more of a “Beer and BarBecue” event, than a Building one. Although I’m not complaining, since Jenna grilled some amazing pork ribs that paired beautifully with a few home-brewed Smoked Pale Ales and Coffee Porters courtesy of our guests.

Safety First!

Alex and Ashley, two fellow rock-climbers, are the famous home-brewers. They also brought along Kona, their chocolate lab, who decided he best served us by napping in the middle of our narrow walkway, making it impossible not to stop and pet him.

Kona, Our First Pet Guest!

April, who we met at the Los Angeles Tumbleweed workshop, and Suzy also showed up to help. Both learned how to use a miter saw for the first time! Everyone worked really hard and took the occasional break to hang from our loft joists.

The Girls Testing The Solidity Of The Frame

My friend Jonathan, who helped last weekend, was mainly here for the ribs. But hey, they were delicious so I can’t really blame him.

Jon, The Classy Architect

Nah, he did help quite a bit. He’s an architect by trade, so he’s figuring out how we can build a solid gambrel roof instead of the classic a-frame.

Jon Fixing Some Framing Mistakes

Me, Creating More Mistakes

Finishing The Loft Support

Jon, Not Classy Anymore…

By the way, which roof would you prefer: a-frame or gambrel?

Chris and Malissa’s Modified Tumbleweed Fencl. An A-Frame With Dormers

1. June 22, 2017 / 2:16 pm

Hey there! I love the natural look of your loft beams in the finished house, I was wondering if you just used doug fir and left them bare? Did you stain them to protect from moisture? Thank you!

• June 27, 2017 / 10:34 am

The loft ridge beam is trimmed out with old barn wood. It’s not stained. Hope that is helpful 🙂

2. November 6, 2013 / 10:33 pm

Thanks for posting the site with the Gambrel roof on it since I really wanted to know what it looked like built. I’m a huge fan of the Gambrel roof because it seems to open up the space but it also looks like a pain in the butt to build.

• November 6, 2013 / 10:38 pm

No problem, we’re glad you found it useful.
      The gambrel roof is nice indeed but didn’t have enough “pros” for us. It opens up a lot overall compared to a gable roof the whole length. But we are framing shed dormers and they are actually roomier than a gambrel.

3. October 1, 2013 / 3:01 pm

A-frame and dormers. Go with what works and is a proven design I say. I actually like the looks of a-frame. Jenna’s Aunt Vickie and Uncle Terry lived in one for years before they modified the design and added a second story. Your decision thou. Can’t wait to see Tiny House and work on it.

4. Paula
    October 1, 2013 / 12:28 pm

Gambrel – absolutely. It really opens up the inside and makes the two loft areas much more usable, for your own headroom and storage on each side. I also like the look of it on the exterior, but think it really shines in interior view and space and you live with the interior much more than you view the exterior. I saw one where someone put small transom style ( celestory??) windows on the gambrel sides for light, maybe even do something sim or use a row of glass block here and there so you get light even if window shutters closed for privacy.
    A gambrel space simply FEELs much much bigger

• October 1, 2013 / 1:24 pm

Well, all those “pros” are why we are considering it. Plus it would set us a little bit apart from other tiny houses.
      I’m afraid of a few cons though. We are going to drive this “brick” all over the country and there are things to consider. Here are the gambrel cons vs the regular gable roof that I can think of:
      1. more materials, hence heavier
      2. more joints, hence weaker, hence heavier to make as safe
      3. not a road-proven design, at least not by Tumbleweed
      4. no existing design (I would have to design the whole thing)
      5. potentially less room in the loft vs gable with dormers
      6. not an iconic look (both pro and con)

Tough decisions!

5. Suzanne
    September 30, 2013 / 2:29 pm

A frame is more aesthetically appealing, but the gambrel allows for more space… Go with the gambrel.