Skylights & Beer Brewing

Skylights & Beer Brewing

We had almost as difficult a time installing our skylights as Salies did that time she ate leftover New Years Eve balloons.

Salies: https://tinyhousegiantjourney.com/about/salies/

“I swear, I’ll never eat balloons again…” – Salies (morning after hangover promise)

Which is why no skylight should ever be installed without a “hair of the dog” remedy – a beer brewing kit (unfortunately, sold separately).

So, in a desperate effort to make this post more interesting, below we’ve detailed both processes: 1). Installing skylights, and 2). Brewing beer.

Consider this a “choose your own adventure” post. Pick your poison, and tell us which you’d prefer to have: our beer, or our skylight?

1) SKYLIGHT INSTALLATION

Basically installing a skylight is just like installing a window… only while hanging from a tree, balancing on one leg, and juggling dangerously sharp tools from your waist.

As with sheathing the roof, framing a skylight on a 12:12 pitch roof is no walk in the park. Our old nemesis – Gravity, was really having a laugh at our expense. So I’ve decided our next project will be entitled “TINY HOUSE IN SPACE.” If Sandra Bullock can do it, so can I.

When it comes to skylights, placement is very important. We wanted one skylight to offset our great room windows, and another (an egress window) for stargazing from our loft!

Building Tip:

Make sure you think about your flashing that will make your skylights waterproof. Placing the skylight at the appropriate distance from the roof ridge will allow you to use only flashing on the upper side of the skylight, instead of roof ridge + roofing + flashing + skylights. Fewer breaks means fewer potential leaks!

Tiny house – tiny roof – large skylights. I can’t wait to suntan in my own living room.

2). BEER BREWING

Below is a step by step photo recap of our brew. We’re sorry we can’t share the finished product with you, because I’m afraid we need this fuel for future BBBBQs… unless, you wanna join us?

Check back with us in a few weeks for the bottling!

Stay thirsty my friends,

Jenna

1. Brandon
    September 9, 2015 / 9:55 am

Heellloo! I have purchased the same Fakro egress skylight and flashing kit for my sleeping loft through your Amazon link and am curious about sealing it after installing the frame. I see on your roofing video you leave a space between the undrlayment and the skylight so curious if I should add flashing tape the seal the window and then the flashing kit on top of that? My kit didn’t come with tape but I have some Grace i coukd use. Would the fladhing kit still fit flush if over the tape? Any advice would be great! And I bet the beer was good!

• September 9, 2015 / 9:59 am

Hey Brandon, thanks for using our links! We cut our underlayment that way just to have room to work, and we used leftover Grace Ice & Water Shield underlayment to flash the framing. We made sure the underlayment went all the way over the ridge of the roof to make sure no water can flow down. We also used the appropriate flashing kits for our roofing. Not sure what would work for yours.
      Looks like you are doing things right!

• October 24, 2015 / 12:19 pm

Ready for my install and have one more question. It is on the dormer roof above the loft and seems tight to get the flashing kit on the top and bottom. How did you tweak yours or did you have to? Thanks!

• October 24, 2015 / 12:27 pm

I just went through my timelapse photos to see if I could find anything but I don’t think I captured that part. If I remember well, I sealed the heck out of it with Grace Ice & Water Shield then put the flashing. I can’t remember if I had to trim the top part of the flashing kit or not. I think I trimmed the bottom skirt as it was sticking off of the roof. Here is the closest picture I could find, not sure if it’ll help.

2. September 16, 2014 / 6:17 pm

Was wondering which company you go with for the skylight in your loft ? What size was it ?

3. May 6, 2014 / 7:16 pm

Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine.
    Please let me know where you got your design. Many thanks

4. Jennifer
    April 14, 2014 / 11:24 am

I noticed that your skylights vent & opens very wide. What type of skylights did you use?

• April 14, 2014 / 11:32 am

Hi Jennifer, we use Fakro skylights and love them. We have a venting skylight on our 12:12 pitch section, which only opens 8 inches. In our loft, we have an egress escape window which opens completely!