YouTube Videos

Cape Coral, FL: Alligator Sighting & An Annual Funeral

I was thirteen years old when I tried my first glass of champagne. It was Y2K and everyone thought the world was going to collapse. Ten years later, I welcomed the new year with bright blonde hair and a tan in Melbourne, Australia. I brought in 2013 stumbling over the rain covered cobblestones in Biarritz, France. And last year, when December became January, I massaged my soar muscles while Mammoth Mountain sent me blissful dreams of tomorrow’s slopes.

For 2015, I decided to do something different: spend New Years on the beach.

THGJ Fort Myers - 0010THGJ Fort Myers - 0002

One of my best friends lives in Cape Coral, Florida and her family offered us their driveway (thank you Kari, Jeremy, Rita, Dave, Randy and Luis)! Two major achievements marked our six day stay: 1). Guillaume was introduced to Florida fishing, and is now, obsessed. And, 2). We saw the canaligator.

THGJ Fort Myers - 0006 THGJ Fort Myers - 0003

The “canaligator” is a four foot long alligator (and four feet is being generous) that lives in the canal behind our hosts’ home. It’s tiny, but as you know, I like tiny. When I first heard there was an alligator living in the canal, I was a little apprehensive to go kayaking. After seeing the cute lil’ guy, I have no idea what I was afraid of. I’ve seen lizards that are larger! Still we were ecstatic when the canaligator showed his cute little face one morning. Albeit small, Guillaume finally saw a wild gator!

THGJ Fort Myers - 0005

Similar to Christmas day, we spent New Years lazing around on the beach. Only this time, we had buddies and booze. Later that evening, we celebrated the birth of 2015 as the world lit up over our heads.

It will never be 2014 again, and that makes me a little sad. So I’ve written it an obituary.

In Memory of 2014

The year 2014 passed, expectedly, on December 31st at 11:59pm from natural causes, leaving behind one child – 2015. 2014 was an amazing year. A transitional year. Guillaume and I quit our day jobs and built a tiny house. We started working for ourselves and have now taken our miniature abode over 8,000 miles. We’ve visited two countries, four national parks, a dozen major cities and we’ve met many interesting like-minded people along the way. All in 2014.

2015 New Years Resolutions

1). Don’t sweat the small stuff. Ironic no? Tiny house living has allowed us to “let go” of material possessions and daily irritations. We want to continue to do that, only more!

2). More tiny house tours. We want to meet more tiny housers, tree housers, yurt dwellers, and house-truck dwellers along our journey. If you are one, or know of one, please contact us!

3).Find a rhythm. Sometimes we wake up, turn to each other and say, “Where are we again?” We need to recognize when we should slow down and relax. We also need to prioritize exercise and healthy eating. Traveling is fun, but sometimes it’s good to chill.

2015 is going to be a tremendous year. Guillaume and I are going to travel another 20,000 miles and make it all the way to Alaska by this summer! Along the way, we’re going to snowboard, kayak, canoe, scuba dive, snorkel, rock climb, hike and much more. We’re going to eat some local delicacies, try new radical activities and meet more like-minded people along the way.

Guillaume and I are so thankful that we are able to do this journey and that you continue to follow along. We’re carrying you with us, so hang on tight!

Bring it on 2015!

-Jenna

1. Kari
    January 8, 2015 / 9:32 am

perfect post!!!! RIP stuffed squirrel—- jersey is part blame for the beheading

2. January 8, 2015 / 9:19 am

You ought to add tiny float cabins to your list. We live in one and they are a great way to live small in a large world.

• January 9, 2015 / 8:42 am

Wow, we just browsed your site and where you are located is just stunning! We should be going through BC on our way to Alaska sometime in May/June! I’ll also be in Vancouver for a visit next weekend.

Guillaume

• Cyndi Raper
      January 9, 2015 / 12:26 pm

I’d love to learn more about a float cabin. Would you please contact me? CyndiRaper@yahoo.com. Thanks!!

3. Sandy
    January 8, 2015 / 8:29 am

Happy New Year!! Love to read about your travels. Keep enjoying.

4. Cyndi Raper
    January 8, 2015 / 7:18 am

Travel on!! My husband and I made a new year’s resolution to stop paying for housing that will never be ours. Evicted in Winter Park, FL by our muklti-millionaire b/c we reported his “plumber” to state government as he;\’s a convicted pedaphile and we were on a month-to-month lease. After posting on craigslist, we were contacted by a woman w/in 20 minutes who insisted we should rent from her in nearby Casselberry. $2,000 later (rent and deposit), she tried to scam us with a handwritten notice that she had a 3-day right of rescission (NOT! she obviously had us confused with a door-to-door vacuum salesperson!) and demanded we vacate. Next day, we realized why. She was afraid after learning I am a retired litigation paralegal who was now well versed in tenant-landlord law. Stov and fridge didn’t work, 2o broken sewage pipes and septic hadn’t been drained in 5+ years so we had lovely stuff backing up in both toilets and shower. Hot water tank had two large holes which were plugged up with rags and duct tapes. I thoroughly enjoyed cleaning up 532 gal of water. Learned from neighbors she’s scammed 2 previous tenants also. We are in court on Tuesday next week. I am terminally ill and loved going outside at night to tinkle between the bushes, praying my neighbors were not witnessing! We purchased the striped-down bottom of a travel camper on New Year’s Eve for $400 and it’s being sandblasted next week. WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO BEING TINY HOME OWNERS!!! Sometimes God answers prayer in the strangest of ways as we’ve been praying about this for two years! Now it’s time. I am so enjoying your blogs and travel experiences. Look for the dolphin and manatee swim on Living Social. My husband so enjoyed the baby manatee who refused to stop swimming circle 8’s between his legs and I enjoyed the tiny island. Keep us updated on your travels. Know that you bring a huge smile to my face when I read your blog. God’s speed.

• January 8, 2015 / 7:28 am

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes! We hope that 2015 will be much better for you. Thanks for reading and we’re glad you enjoy what we have to share!

5. Claire guillory