NEW Tiny House Village in Mt Hood Oregon

NEW Tiny House Village in Mt Hood Oregon

This past weekend Guillaume attended the opening event for Mt Hood Tiny House Village. I can’t express how excited we are about this new tiny house village! Read on to find out why. . .

Last fall, Encore and Thousand Trails – the largest and most successful provider of RV resorts and campgrounds in North America – reached out to us. They were excited about tiny house travel and, since we were in the spotlight for our road trip, they thought of us as experts. Through multiple conversations with representatives at Thousand Trails, we knew a partnership would bring positive opportunities for the tiny house movement.

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Zoe Tumbleweed - 0002

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Zoe Tumbleweed - 0007

Campgrounds and RV resorts can support the tiny house movement through acceptance and promotion.

Next we put Thousand Trails in touch with Tumbleweed Tiny House Company, the company that pioneered tiny homes and tiny house ownership. Tumbleweed is also one of the few tiny house companies that is RVIA certified – meaning their tiny homes are classified, insured, financed and registered as RVs. For a large campground company, like Thousand Trails, these details are important.

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Atticus Tumbleweed - 0005

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Atticus Tumbleweed - 0025

The way I see it, a door has been opened.

In early 2016 Thousand Trails ordered five custom Tumbleweeds to be used as vacation rentals at Mt. Hood RV Resort, giving guests an opportunity to “try on” tiny house living . This is how Mt. Hood Tiny House Village was born!

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Scarlett Tumbleweed - 0006

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Scarlett Tumbleweed - 0021

All five tiny homes at Mt Hood Tiny House Village are unique in design, allowing future tiny house owners to identify their personal preferences. Each tiny is surrounded by gorgeous landscaping and paired with a picnic table and a grill, while parked in a semi-circle around a shared fire pit. This configuration allows for privacy but also promotes socialization. In other words, the village simulates community living.

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Savannah Tumbleweed - 0003

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Savannah Tumbleweed - 0017

Offering individuals an opportunity to “try on tiny” supports the tiny house movement by promoting tiny home design and community.

Guillaume attended the Mt Hood Tiny House Village opening event this past Friday and more than 1,500 people showed up! All five tinies were available to tour, a live band played music and food was served to attendees. That evening, Guillaume spent the night in one of the tiny homes – Atticus. He said the loft was very spacious, even more so than our own!

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Lincoln Tumbleweed - 0002

Mt Hood Tiny House Village Lincoln Tumbleweed - 0011Tiny House Village Rentals: What does the future hold?

Mt Hood Tiny House Village is now taking reservations for nightly rentals. I can only hope that it earns a lot of attention and inspires guests to own or build a tiny house of their own. Perhaps the village will trigger other campgrounds to support the tiny house movement, build a tiny house village or accept tiny homes for parking. The more prevalent tiny homes are in the world, the more society will embrace them!

Like I said, the door has been opened! Let’s see where it leads.

1. stephanie carbone
    October 31, 2016 / 5:40 am

I wish you well. Life throws us many curves. Continue traveling I wish you the best in life.

2. May 27, 2016 / 10:32 am

Whilst this is no doubt a step in the right direction for the tiny house community, there’s still a few things to address. As an RV you’re technically not allowed to ‘live’ in it. Most campgrounds have a 30 day limit with current laws. Even I f the house wasn’t an RV, I guess we all still fall under that law despite its grey area and depending on local zoning.
    Our zoning area has a minimum dwelling size of 750sq feet, unless zoned for campground. I am currently working with our local council to get the minimum removed, which has recently happened in neighbouring municipalities.
    If we choose to go the ‘accessory dwelling’ route, then we need to work with housing code and bylaw, but if we go with the RV route, then we must maybe work towards some kind of ‘sub clause’ that allows more permanent living. With tumbleweed’s status as a tiny house builder I would like to see them work closely with the RV industry and governing bodies to help rectify this law.
    It might also be helpful for tumbleweed to release a simple version of RV code for readers to use in the build / retrofitting of their existing tiny home. (If that’s even possible, as I know code can be complicated.) Is it possible to create a tiny house that confirms to both housing and RV codes?!
    I feel that working with municipalities regards zoning bylaw and housing code would be a better route, however, there is no harm in pursuing both routes for now.

3. Linda Sand
    May 26, 2016 / 5:33 pm

I love the stairway, instead of ladder, to the bedroom. I do not love the gathering tables; I need to be able to put my feet on the floor. I love the teamwork between Thousand Trails and the tiny house network to support these wonderful houses. I just wish more tiny houses were being built to RV standards as I see this as a way to open more places for tiny houses to park.

4. Johanne Frenette
    May 26, 2016 / 3:01 pm

I really like the Lincoln since from what I can see from the photos, it has a larger size bed on the main level. One thing I would like tho, is a fridge that is more at eye level.

5. May 26, 2016 / 2:44 pm

Love it! Thanks for sharing this! We will look into it for our travels this year. I hope more places like this pop up. 🙂

6. May 26, 2016 / 8:17 am

It’s so pretty! I wish we could have been there. I think they are building a tiny house community down here in Florida, closer to Orlando. Our family is planning to visit towards the end of the year when they have a “Tiny House Jamboree.” We are very excited to get a chance to tour multiple tiny houses to help guide us as we choose which house set-up would work best for our family.

Seeing all the lovely homes above, did you see any design elements you wish you had used for your tiny?

• frances
      November 18, 2016 / 12:17 pm

Hi Nicole if you are still in the pricess of designing I would suggest to look at tiny houses at yt channels Kirsten Dirksen and Australian living big in a tiny house..There were some with fanstastic solutions for small spaces. Depending on your budget ofc The bed up design shown in Paris and tn by a boatbuilder.
      Or the cottage by austrialian couple. I personally dont like these ones due to horrible interior designs ineffective use/ lack of space.
      The poarch for instance may look cute but is is a bad choice really. Bwtter create an entrance on ther side and attach a deck to optimally use the small space youre working with.
      There is also a independent video from an older couple with two atticks well used. it has over a million views. Good luck hope you find some great ideas and inspiration. Grewtings from France