Below you will find MY TINY HOUSE MATERIALS, including my favorite appliances and space savers. I have used each and every one of these items, and I’ve been satisfied with the functionality. That being said, there are many options out there. Use this list as a guide, and purchase the materials that work for your specific Tiny House design, lifestyle, and climate.
If you’re interested in the total cost to build, click here for an itemized breakdown of my Tiny House budget
PLANS AND TRAILER
My house was built on a 20 foot Tumbleweed Utility Trailer using Tumbleweed Cypress Overlook Plans. The plans included a detailed breakdown of basic construction Tiny House materials, such as structural lumber, sheathing, etc. I customized my plans, extending the dormers and changing the interior. For more information on the build plans and trailer I used, click on the links above.
TINY HOUSE MATERIALS – BASICS
- Framing – 2X4s
- Jeldwen Vinyl Windows – 14 double pane, tempered, low-e windows. All custom sizes
- Front Door
- Roofing – Onduvilla 3D Shingles
- Roofing underlayment – Grace ice & water shield. Used approx. 1.5 rolls, and the rest behind the shower walls.
- Siding – Reclaimed from barn
- Insulation – R-tech Rigid Foam & Great Stuff
- House wrap – Tyvek
- Screws with Star Drive Head
- Refrigerator: This small 3-way Dometic fridge can run off of propane, AC or DC. Great off-grid option.
- Stovetop: 3-burner, uses propane.
- Oven: Solar oven (used outdoors)
- Coffee Maker. No electricity, great space saver.
- Toaster: Stove top option. Requires no electricity.
- Sink: Yosemite Magnus2020 20″ x 20″ x 8″. I don’t think it’s available anymore, let me know if you find it!
- Countertops – Alligator Juniper wood slabs (hollowed out to conserve weight)
- Bathtub: Lyons 24 X 32″ tub, discontinued but they have other sizes.
- Compost Toilet: Nature’s Head. Receive $25 off by purchasing through this link. Read my review.
- Low-flow shower head
- Wall Mounted Towel Rod. Great space saver.
- Wall Mounted Mirror. Great Space saver.
- DIY Curtain Rod
- Corrugated Metal Roofing/Sheets for Wall Panels
- Whisper-quiet Panasonic shower fan – This is not the same model as the one I have, but very similar.
- Foam Mattress – Great for the loft. Breathable. I have the 5″ version which is no longer available.
- Loft Skylight – opens completely for emergency exit
- USB LED lights – great space saver & bedtime reading light
- Ottomans – two fit perfectly in my nook
- Futon Mattress – fits perfectly in nook & folds out to create downstairs bed (tutorial coming soon)
- Living Room Skylight – Opens to vent
- Fold down table – tutorial coming soon
- Wall panels – V-groove pine
- Snowboard ceiling rack
- Uke wall mounts
TINY HOUSE ENTERTAINMENT CENTER
- Projection Screen – 100 inches
- Amazon Fire Stick – plugs directly into the back of the projector
- Bluetooth speaker – connects wirelessly to the Amazon Fire
- Propane Water Heater – Precision Temp RV-550 NSP
- 12-volt converter
- Water pump
- Water Inlet with brass fittings
- Fresh water hose
- Heater water hose – replaces fresh water hose during winter
- Water filter
- Pressure Regulator
- Fresh water tank – various sizes. I use a 46 gallon. It fits under my kitchen counter
- Grey water tank – various sizes. I use a 15 gallon for portability.
- Sewer hose
- Compost Toilet – Read my review here.
- 2 x 20 lb Propane Tanks
- Propane Gauge
- Propane auto changeover regulator – there are many options
- 2x Pigtail
- Propane dual lock
- Propane Tank Heat Blanket – For extremely cold climates. This also helps your system be more efficient. I have the expensive version, but here is cheaper one.
- Kimberly Wood Stove
- Envi Wall Mounted Electric Heater
- Space Heater – various available. I’ve tried a few and can’t find the perfect match yet. This is the one I am currently using.
- Dehumidifier – necessary!
TINY HOUSE SPACE SAVERS
- Wooden Magnetic Knife Holder
- Roll Up Dish Drying Rack
- Magnetic Spice Rack & Jars
- Magnetic Bottle Opener
- Snowboard ceiling rack – It’s actually made for a surfboard, but I use it for my snowboard. Can hold two!
- Uke wall mounts – Or wall mounts for any instrument!
- Wall Mounted Towel Rack
- Wall Mounted bathroom mirror
- USB Outlets – I have these all over my house. No need for a bulky adaptor to charge my devices.
- USB LED lights – great for a little extra light
- Vaccum. I love this powerful little vacuum with all its attachments. Great for dog hair!
- Norwex Cleaning Cloths
- Scrubba Portable Laundry System Bag
- Dr. Bronners. I use it for everything. Read more on products to green your greywater.
- Weight Distribution System – Necessary for towing with heavy tongue!
- Tuff Pads
- Trailer Jack
- Trailer Lock – for security
- RV GPS – to avoid low overpasses. I use the Rand McNally, but it’s pricey.
- 1250 Solar Generator from Goal Zero
- 2 x Boulder 90 watt Solar Panels
- 2 x Renogy 100 watt Solar Panels
- 30 ft extension cable
- Portable solar charging kit – for charging phones and small lights on camping trips
OUTDOOR / OFF-GRID TINY HOUSE MATERIALS
- Solar String Lights – Holiday decor and regular mood lighting
- Hammock Tree Tent
- GoSun Sport Solar Oven – Get 10% off when using the code “TinyHouseGiantJourney”
- Compact camp stove – Biolite uses wood for heat and charges my devices
TINY HOUSE BOOKS I LOVE
Tiny House Decisions by expert Tiny Houser, Ethan Waldman, discusses the real challenges you face when going tiny. There are many decisions to be made, some big and some small. This book is a great guide for getting you over the hump and working towards your Tiny House dream. The book can be purchased solo or as a package with video tours and interviews. Click here for more info.
Other inspirational Tiny House books:
GET HELP WITH YOUR BUILD
The best construction guide on the market, in my opinion, is Tiny House Builder’s Tiny House Design & Construction Guide. You can purchase it as a stand-alone book, or with a video tutorial package (recommended).
TINY HOUSE SYSTEMS EXPLAINED
- Heating My Tiny Home
- 10 Items that Help me Survive Winter in a Tiny House
- The Perfect Tiny House Toilet
- My Water Heater: Why I Love It
- Tiny House Plumbing
- 10 Biodegradable Products for Green Greywater
- 10 Steps for Tiny House Parking & Set Up
- How to change a tire on a Tiny House
- How to weigh a Tiny House
- 5 Tips for Tiny House Travel
- 8 off-grid appliances I can’t live without
DIY TINY HOUSE DECOR TUTORIALS
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.